Baton Rouge Pedestrian Injury Lawyer
RECOVERING COMPENSATION FOR INJURED PEDESTRIANS
Whether you are Louisiana State University (LSU) student walking along Airline Highway or are leaving Mississippi River Park, you could be at risk for serious injury or even death. Pedestrian injuries are widespread in Baton Rouge and may only be getting worse as traffic increases in the area.
At Walter R. Krousel Jr. & Associates, we know the deep impact that a pedestrian accident can have on a person and their family. We work tirelessly to ensure that your clients receive the largest possible recovery after a collision. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact our office at (225) 529-9330 to schedule a professional consultation.
WHY YOU NEED AN EXPERIENCED LAWYER
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident, you need an attorney who will make sure that you receive every dollar you deserve. Pedestrian accidents can leave you unable to maintain gainful employment. They may make it difficult to continue doing the things you love. An experienced lawyer can help you overcome these obstacles and secure the financial recovery you need.
Without the help of an attorney, a negligent party or their insurance company may try to put you at fault for the accident. If you are found partially to blame for the accident, your recovery will be reduced in proportion to your fault. Too often unrepresented pedestrians end up settling their case for less than it is worth. A pedestrian accident lawyer can help ensure that this does not happen.
WHAT CAUSES MOST PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS?
Pedestrian accidents are often caused by inattentive or distracted motorists. However, it may be necessary to conduct an independent investigation to determine the cause of the accident.
Common causes of pedestrian injuries include:
- Failure to stop at a crosswalk or intersection
- Driving at an unsafe speed
- Texting while driving
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to obey traffic laws or signs
- Unsafe left turns
If you are injured as a pedestrian in Baton Rouge, you need to act quickly to protect your right to compensation. Your financial recovery may depend on the actions you take in the days and weeks following the incident.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I AM INJURED AS A PEDESTRIAN?
If you are injured while walking, you need to contact 9-1-1 immediately. A law enforcement officer can dispatch for medical help and can help determine what caused the accident. You can also help your case by collecting evidence at the scene. If you are able, take pictures and videos of the accident.
Next, you need to speak with a highly qualified pedestrian accident lawyer. A lawyer can walk you through the legal process and ensure that you receive the maximum recovery allowed based on the circumstances of your case.
It is important to note that you only have a limited amount of time, generally one year from the date of the accident, to file a claim for damages. Failure to file within the statute of limitations may result in your claim being denied. It is never a good idea to wait until the last minute to consult an attorney as evidence can go stale and irreparable damage can be done to your case.
WHAT ARE THE MOST FREQUENT PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT INJURIES?
Injuries in a pedestrian accident may range from minor to severe. But, even if you believe you are not seriously injured, you should still seek medical attention immediately. Any pain or discomfort should be treated by a medical professional as it could be an indication of a more critical problem.
Most frequent pedestrian accident injuries:
- Broken bones – One of the most common injuries reported after a pedestrian accident are broken bones and fractures. If a person is struck by a vehicle, the impact on the body is significant. They are often unable to brace themselves for the collision causing substantial damage and broken bones.
- Dislocated shoulder or wrist – Depending on the way a pedestrian is hit by the vehicle, they may try to brace themselves. Due to the weight and strain on the upper extremities, it is not unusual for the shoulder or wrist to become dislocated.
- Concussions and traumatic brain injury (TBI) – Traumatic brain injuries are classified based on their severity. A moderate to severe TBI can cause seizures, unconsciousness, or death.
- Spine injuries The spine and spinal cord are particularly vulnerable because they are offered little to no protection. If the sudden collision is strong enough, it could sever a nerve near the spine causing unbearable pain or paralysis.
- Disfigurement Road rash and burn injuries are commonly seen in pedestrian accident cases. These injuries may cause permanent disfigurement.
Many people fail to get the treatment they need after a pedestrian accident. Failing to get treatment can negatively impact your case.
INJURED IN A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT IN BATON ROUGE
Were you injured as a pedestrian in Baton Rouge? We might be able to help you. Contact our office at (225) 263-6194 to schedule a professional, no-obligation consultation. Call now to get started.