No one gets into their car expecting to be involved in a car crash. However, many individuals are injured on Louisiana roads every day. The sad truth is that many of these accidents could have been prevented if drivers exercised greater care on Baton Rouge roadways. Some leading causes of accidents are distracted driving and driving while intoxicated.
If you or a loved one is suffering because a negligent driver caused an accident, please know that you have legal options. Consulting with an attorney is an excellent first step in deciding how to seek compensation. Your lawyer will review your case and determine who was liable for the accident. They will negotiate with insurance companies to get you a fair settlement and stand by your side throughout your legal proceedings.
Call now to schedule a free case evaluation with our experienced auto accident attorneys at 225-263-6194 .
What Are Some Common Causes of Baton Rouge Motor Vehicle Accidents?
Crashes happen every day in the Baton Rouge area. These auto accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Distracted driving, including making phone calls, texting, eating, drinking, and applying makeup while driving
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Reckless driving, such as speeding, tailgating, or making sudden lane changes without signaling
- Violating traffic signals
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Driving at night
- Driving in heavy rain, fog, or other adverse conditions
If you were injured in an accident caused by a negligent or reckless driver, you could be eligible for compensation. Our talented legal team will work tirelessly to investigate the cause of your accident so you get the maximum amount of money possible for your injuries.
Who is Liable for a Crash in Louisiana?
Some key factors when determining fault in a Louisiana accident include identifying whether one party breached a duty of care. For example, the injured party should be able to prove that the following three important elements are true:
- First, it must be shown that the at-fault party owed a duty of care. One example is a driver who should operate their vehicle carefully to protect others on the road.
- Second, the at-fault party must be shown to have violated their duty of care. This could be through driving recklessly, such as speeding or driving under the influence.
- Finally, you must show that you received severe injuries because of the other person’s breach of duty of care.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Injuries?
Louisiana law follows a pure comparative negligence system. This means both parties may collect compensation for damages according to their share of the fault. For example, if one party was 20% at fault, they could pursue damages up to 80% of the total costs of the accident. Seeking compensation is permitted in The Pelican State even if you were 99% at fault.
Successful car accident claims may recover damages such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Hospital charges
- Ambulance fees
- Past and future lost income, including wages, salaries, vacations, and bonuses
- Emotional trauma, including PTSD, depression, and anxiety
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages, such as when the other driver was intoxicated
Should You Hire Our Personal Injury Attorneys?
If you or a loved one suffers from injuries caused by another driver’s negligence or wrongdoing, you may feel frustrated and confused about what to do next. Many victims think they should take the insurance payout and walk away. However, you deserve more than that. You deserve a legal representative who will listen compassionately to your concerns and communicate directly with you about your legal options.
At our law firm, you will speak with our experienced personal injury attorney for the majority of the time. You will benefit from more than three decades of legal experience serving clients like you who are trying to recover from devastating car crash injuries. We promise to leverage our experience, time, dedication, and honesty to get the results you need in your car accident case.
Don’t take the risk of going with any other law firm. Contact us right away at 225-263-6194 and schedule a free consultation.